Summer Youth Employment Program
The City of Albany’s LIGHT Summer Youth Employment Program is a 30+ year old program that provides summer employment for youth between the ages of 14-18. LIGHT stands for Learning Initiatives and Gaining Headway Together, which symbolizes the program curriculum that we use in Albany for five weeks each summer. The City of Albany’s LIGHT program has served as a way to introduce youth to the labor market by helping them acquire skills and insight with work experience that can be used to improve school performance and become responsible adults. Research confirms that participation in SYEP improves school performance.
- The health and safety of our communities remains our top priority and we will continue to take all appropriate measures to help keep our youth, families and staff safe.
- Vacations and time-off will not be permitted for youth employees.
- Youth who have been assigned summer school must ensure that their job does not conflict with their instruction and study time
- You may use your phone, computer or tablet to complete the application. For questions, please review the online application FAQ section below. If you have any further questions, we can help by phone (518) 438-1082 or by email.
Albany's Light Program Aims to:
- Provide earned income to Albany youth
- Introduce and prepare youth for the world of work
- Expose our youth to the various businesses and sectors locally
- Learn transferable skills and habits from leaders in the industry
- Provide youth voice and added value to local businesses on special projects and day-to-day functions
- Create a network of professionals and caring adults for Albany’s youth.
SYEP Program Timeline
- The first date of employment is Monday, July 10th and the last day is Thursday, August 11th, Employees can work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
- Enrichment will occur the first week of the program July, 10th-July 14th
- Friday, August 11th, youth employees end the summer with a recognition ceremony from 10am-2pm