Role as Police Chief
Chief Eric Hawkins was sworn in as Albany, New York’s 25th Police Chief on
September 7, 2018. During Chief Hawkins’ tenure in Albany, he has prioritized strengthening police-community relations, the health and wellness of employees and the recruitment and retention of personnel. In addition, Chief Hawkins oversaw a department re-organization, the acquisition of a new Training Center and the implementation of strategies that resulted in reductions in both violent and property crimes.
Chief Hawkins began his career with the Southfield, Michigan Police Department in 1990, starting as a Police Cadet and appointed as a sworn Police Officer in 1991. Chief Hawkins rose through the ranks of the department and was formally appointed as police chief in October of 2012. His assignments included:
- Assignment as Patrol Division Coordinator
- Command of the department’s downtown sub-station, which involved:
- Coordination of all the police department’s community-related programs including
- Crime prevention
- School officers
- Oversight of the department’s tactical unit
Chief Hawkins also implemented initiatives designed to enhance police-community relations, including citizen and youth police academies and a Police Chief’s Citizens Advisory Board.
Chief Hawkins earned:
- Associate’s in Business Administration from Oakland Community College
- Bachelor of Science in Public Administration from Central Michigan University
- Juris Doctor from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- Master of Science in Administration from Central Michigan University
He is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Academy, Eastern Michigan University’s School of Police Staff and Command, the Federal Bureau of Investigation Command Institute for Police Executives, and Central Michigan University’s Law Enforcement and School Liaison Program Institute.
Chief Hawkins’ professional affiliations include:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Law Enforcement Executive Development Association
- Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy Associates
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives
- New York State Association of Chiefs of Police and Northeastern Association of Chiefs of Police
- Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)