Where can I go to file a complaint?

Complaint forms may be obtained at any Albany Police Station, as well as the Mayor’s Office in City Hall, the Department of Administrative Services in City Hall, The Urban League of Northeastern New York, Inc., Trinity Institute, The Albany Fire Department, The Albany Community Development Agency, Centro Civico Hispano Americano inc., as well as the Center for Law and Justice.

What information do I need to file a complaint?

When a complaint is made, it must be proven with credible evidence. The complaint should provide as much information as possible to assist in the investigation. Names of witnesses, addresses and phone numbers can be helpful and should be considered an important part of the complaint. Also, police officers’ names, descriptions, or badge numbers should be included when possible. Dates, times, and incident numbers also aide in investigating complaints.

What if I need assistance in filling out the complaint form?

There is a space on the form to indicate who assisted in making the complaint if needed. You can also come to the Office of Professional Standards, 165 Henry Johnson Boulevard, between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday for assistance.

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone who feels that he or she has been the victim of or witness to inappropriate police behavior should file a complaint that will result in an investigation of the incident.

Can the Office of Professional Standards get my charges dropped?

No. The Office of Professional Standards does not interfere in on-going criminal or violation cases. We will investigate complaints of improper or false arrest but can not enter into any agreements regarding dismissal of charges.