Frequently Asked Questions

City Clerk - FAQs

What documents are needed to obtain a marriage license?

All documents must be certified with a raised seal. You will need a birth certificate or Baptismal Certificate (if birth certificate cannot be obtained) or Naturalization Papers (if birth certificate cannot be obtained) and a photo ID (driver’s license, non-driver’s or work ID with a birth date on it). All previous marriage info is needed (Divorce, Annulment, Death certificates) Passports cannot be used as a substitute for a birth document. Both parties must be present with $40.00 dollars. CASH ONLY


What time are Marriage Licenses Issued?

We issue marriage licenses by appointment from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM (Monday through Friday ONLY) at City Hall, Room 202, Albany, NY 12207 (518-434-5090).


When can I get married?

NYS Law requires a 24-hour waiting period before a ceremony can be performed. The license is valid for sixty (60) days from the day after you receive it.

Is a blood test Required for a Marriage License in New York State?



Where are marriage licenses kept on file?

Marriage licenses are kept on file where the original marriage license was obtained. Each town, city, village keeps their own records. e.g. Guilderland, Colonie & Bethlehem. If you are still having trouble locating it, or have forgotten where you obtained it, you may go through NYS Dept of Health(518-474-3077)


Do I get my birth certificate from the City Clerk’s Office?

Birth certificates are not obtained in the City Clerks Office; they are obtained from the Bureau of Vital Statistics, a division of the City Clerk’s Office, at 518-434-5045 (address: City Hall – Rm 254M, Albany, NY 12207)


Where do I get my Certificate of Residency?

These may be obtained at the County of Albany, 112 State St, Albany, NY 12207( 518-447-7070).


Can I obtain my divorce documents at the City Clerks Office?

Divorce documents are obtained from the County of Albany or the county in which you filed for divorce.


Animal Control

Is no longer a part of the City Clerks office, they can be reached at the Albany Police Department at 526 Central Avenue (518-434-5091).

Taxi complaints

may be made to Traffic Safety 518- 458-5675 ATTN: PO Curt Ricci)

Family Court

is now located at 30 Clinton Avenue (old Salvation Army building) 518- 285-8600.