Residential Occupancy Permits

What is a Residential Occupancy Permit?

Every rental property in Albany is required to obtain a document called a Residential Occupancy Permit, or ROP. This document certifies that a code inspector has examined the unit and found it safe for people to live in. 

Newly-issued ROP's (after November 2021) are valid for 2 years, while most older ROP's are valid for two and a half years.

What is an ROP Inspection Like?

When completing an ROP inspection, Code Enforcement staff will typically look for the following: 

Does My Apartment Have an ROP?

Click here to look up an ROP. 

Report Missing or Expired ROP's

To report a rental unit without an ROP, contact City Code Enforcement by email or by calling 518-434-5995.