Resources for Tenants

Common Issues

My rights as a tenant have been violated.

You have several options when it comes to organizations that may be able to help. 

For assistance or guidance in pursuing civil legal action against a landlord, visit New York State CourtHelp for a variety of self-help resources. You may also try contacting the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York at (833) 628-0087.

For tenant advocacy or mediation services, contact United Tenants of Albany at (518) 436-8997 x3. 

To make a report to a state or federal entity about housing discrimination: 

  • New York State Division of Human Rights: (518) 474-2705
  • New York State Office of the Attorney General: (212) 416-8250
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development: 1-800-955-2232

I'm behind on rent or utilities.

See the sections below, "Rental Assistance & Housing Resources" and "Utility Assistance Resources" for listings of organizations that may be able to help. 

United Tenants of Albany is currently the community's primary rental assistance provider. They also have some funding for utility assistance. UTA can be reached by phone at (518) 436-8997 x3.

The Home Energy Assistance Program from the Albany County Department of Social Services is also open and accepting applications for utility assistance. To learn more or apply, call (518) 447-7323.

I'm facing eviction.

For tenants facing eviction, the worst thing to do is to do nothing

Pay attention to any court dates or deadlines. Talk to your landlord - can you work out a payment plan? Apply for assistance? Fix the lease violations?

Contact the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York at (833) 628-0087 to see if you may be eligible for free civil legal services. 

Tenants in New York State who have been impacted financially by COVID-19 are protected from eviction until January 15, 2022. You must fill out a copy of the Tenant's Declaration of Hardship During the COVID-19 Pandemic in order to be protected.

To learn more about the eviction process, visit Understanding Legal Processes.

There's a code violation in my apartment.

If your landlord is unwilling to fix the issue(s), contact the City of Albany's Department of Buildings and Regulatory Compliance at (518) 434-5995 or by email.

If you have an after-hours code emergency (e.g. no heat, flooding, ceiling collapsing), contact the Albany Police Department at (518) 434-4000. They will be able to get in touch with the on-call code inspector. There is an inspector available 24/7, 365 days per year.

Rental Assistance & Housing Resources

These are only potential sources of rental assistance funding or housing opportunities. Funding may not be available and is not guaranteed. 

** United Tenants of Albany **

UTA is currently the community's primary rental assistance provider.

Albany Community Action Partnership

Albany County Department of Social Services

Albany Housing Authority

Catholic Charities Tri-County Services

  • Phone: (518) 512-3577
  • Address: 50 Herrick St, Rensselaer, NY 12144
  • Website: www. 

Homeless and Travelers Aid Society

Legal Aid Services of Northeastern New York

  • Phone: (833) 628-0087
  • Address: 95 Central Ave, Albany, NY 12206
  • Website: 

Trinity Alliance

Utility Assistance Resources

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Operated by Albany County Department of Social Services

United Tenants of Albany