Summer Youth Employment Program
The City of Albany's LIGHT (Learning, Initiative and Gaining Headway Together) Summer Youth Employment Program is designed to provide any young City of Albany resident, age 14-18, with a summer work experience. The goals of the program are to:
- Introduce and prepare youth for the world of work.
- Help youth identify career interests and attain skills and good work habits.
- Provide income to youth, which may also supplement family income.
The program runs five (5) days per week for five (5) weeks. The first date of employment is Monday, July 3rd, the last is Friday, August 4th. Except for the first week, employees will work 20 hours per week. Job assignments will be mailed to the home address on file on June 24th. Participants are able to earn between $7.00/hour and $9.70/hour, depending on their age.
- Age 14 or older on or before April 1, 2017
- Attending a middle or high school in the City of Albany
- A resident of the City of Albany
Pre-Registration Clinics will be available at the following times and locations
School Lunchtime Clinics
Library After School Clinics
- Wednesday, March 15th and Tuesday, March 21st at Albany High School
- Wednesday, March 15th and Tuesday, March 21st at Hackett Middle School
- Thursday, March 16th and Thursday, March 23rd at West Hill
- Thursday, March 16th and Thursday, March 23rd at Myers Middle School
- Tuesday, March 21st at Green Tech High
- Thursday, March 23rd at Albany Leadership
- Wednesday, March 15th and Tuesday, March 21st at the Washington Ave Branch from 4-6 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 15th and Tuesday, March 21st at the John Howe Branch from 4-6 p.m.
- Thursday, March 16th and Thursday, March 23rd at the Arbor Hill Branch from 4-6 p.m.
- Thursday, March 16th and Thursday, March 23rd at the Delaware Branch from 4-6 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 21st at Pine Hills Branch from 4-6 p.m.
- Thursday, March 23rd at Bach Branch from 4-6 p.m.
Applications must be submitted by the students at one of the following locations and times:
- Saturday, March 18th, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. TOAST School - Lincoln Park 12202
- Wednesday, March 22nd, 4 p.m.-7 p.m. New Scotland Elementary - 369 New Scotland Ave. 12208
- Wednesday, March 29th, 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Hackett Middle School - 45 Delaware Ave. 12202
- Saturday, April 1st 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Bleecker Stadium - 721 Clinton Ave. 12206
Applications will not be accepted without the following documents:
- 1 copy of the student’s Social Security card
- 1 copy of the student’s Birth Certificate
- The original and 1 copy of the student’s Albany City School District Working Paper card (if under 18 years old)
- 1 copy of the student’s current picture ID (if 18 years of age or older)
- 1 copy of the student’s alien resident card with alien registration number and date of entry to US (if not a US citizen)
Applications are also available at:
- All Albany middle and high school guidance and/or business offices
- The Department of Youth and Workforce Services: 175 Central Ave. – 2nd Floor OR 382 Clinton Ave. – Youth Services Office
- The Department of Recreation, 7 Hoffman Ave.
- The Summer Youth Employment Program office, Bleecker Stadium, 721 Clinton Ave.
APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER APRIL 1, 2017
New employee orientation is mandatory for students who have not previously worked for the Summer Youth Employment Program. It is scheduled for June 17, 2017. New employees required to attend orientation will be notified by mail of the time and location. New employees who fail to attend orientation will not be assigned to a work site.
Application clinics are available to help you with the application. Please call Bleecker Stadium at (518) 438-1082 for locations and other information.
To download an application for 2017 Summer Youth Employment Program click here
To download the 2017 Worksite Agreement click here
To download an application for the 2017 Summer Youth Cadet Program click here
Contact Information Bleecker Stadium 721 Clinton Avenue Albany, NY 12206 (518) 438-1082