Summer Youth Employment Program
The City of Albany's LIGHT (Learning, Initiative and Gaining Headway Together) Summer Youth Employment Program is designed to provide any young City of Albany resident, age 14-18, with a summer work experience. The goals of the program are to:
- Introduce and prepare youth for the world of work.
- Help youth identify career interests and attain skills and good work habits.
- Provide income to youth, which may also supplement family income.
The program runs five (5) days per week for five (5) weeks. The first date of employment is Tuesday, July 5th, the last is Friday, August 5th. Except for the first week, employees will work 20 hours per week. Job assignments will be mailed to the home address on file on June 24th. Participants are able to earn between $6.17/hour and $9.00/hour, depending on their age.
- Age 14 or older on or before April 2, 2016
- Attending a middle or high school in the City of Albany
- A resident of the City of Albany
Applications must be submitted by the students at one of the following locations and times:
- Saturday, March 19th, 9am-12pm TOAST School
- Wednesday, March 23rd, 4pm-7pm West Hill School
- Wednesday, March 30th, 4pm-7pm Hackett School
- Saturday, April 2nd, 9am-12pm Bleecker Stadium
Applications will not be accepted without the following documents:
- 1 copy of the student’s Social Security card
- 1 copy of the student’s Birth Certificate
- The original and 1 copy of the student’s Albany City School District Working Paper card (if under 18 years old)
- 1 copy of the student’s current picture ID (if 18 years of age or older)
- 1 copy of the student’s alien resident card with alien registration number and date of entry to US (if not a US citizen)
Applications are also available at:
- All Albany middle and high school guidance and/or business offices
- The Dept. of Youth and Workforce Services: 175 Central Ave. – 2nd Floor OR 382 Clinton Ave. – Youth Services Office
- The Dept. of Recreation, 7 Hoffman Ave.
- The Summer Youth Employment Program office, Bleecker Stadium, 721 Clinton Ave.
APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER APRIL 2, 2016
New employee orientation is mandatory for students who have not previously worked for the Summer Youth Employment Program. It is scheduled for June 4, 2016. New employees required to attend orientation will be notified by mail of the time and location. New employees who fail to attend orientation will not be assigned to a work site.
Application clinics are available to help you with the application. Please call Bleecker Stadium at (518) 438-1082 for locations and other information.
To download an application for 2016 summer youth employment and/or the Cadet Program click here
Contact Information Bleecker Stadium 721 Clinton Avenue Albany, NY 12206 (518) 438-1082