The Department of Recreation has one of the finest recreational programs in the Capital District, providing opportunities and facilities for all residents to actively pursue a healthy lifestyle. Choose to enjoy one of the many parks or playgrounds, community centers, swimming and skating facilities within Albany. We also enrich the community with boxing, karate and fitness programs which offer a fun alternative to traditional exercise.
In 2013, the Department of Recreation installed Tobacco-Free Zone signage in all City parks and recreational facilities. The City of Albany is committed to making our community a safe environment for families and the Department of Recreation is proud to be a part of the effort.
The Department understands that recreation is much more than a necessary or pleasant diversion to stay healthy. It is a way to strengthen our families and our neighborhoods, bringing us together as a community. We strive to enhance our recreational programs and facilities and encourage you to take advantage of the many recreational opportunities provided in the City of Albany.
The mission of the Department of Recreation is to coordinate, plan and develop recreational and educational services for the youth of the City of Albany. The Department will work cooperatively with the schools, youth organizations, parents and other community resources to enrich and further develop the lives of our young people. The Department provides recreation and park programs to youth and seniors and supervises all City playgrounds, teen centers, fitness programs, swimming pools, Swinburne Skating Rink, Bleecker Stadium and Ridgefield Park.
Fun Fall Activities for Adults & Youth!
Please call the Dept. of Recreation at 518-434-5699 to sign up and participate.
- Swimming—Stephen and Harriet Myers Middle School (100 Elbel Court, 12202), Lap Swim, Mondays, 6-8 p.m.; Family Swim, Wednesdays, 6-8 p.m. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Swimming—Arbor Hill Community Center (50 Lark St.), 12210, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Adult Swim; 4-6 p.m., Family Swim; Saturday Family Swim, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Call 434-1876 during pool hours if you have questions.
- Yoga Classes—Lincoln Park Fitness Center, Mondays and Thursdays, October 8-December 17, 6-7 p.m., Instructor: Nichole Rogers (Matts will be provided, but feel free to bring your own.)
- Zumba for All—Arbor Hill Community Center (50 Lark St.12210), Mondays and Wednesdays, 6-7 p.m., October 7-December 16, Instructor: Fataima “Momma Zumba” Horne
- Senior Fitness Zumba (55 and over)—First Church in Albany (110 N. Pearl St., 12207), Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10-11 a.m., October 8-December 17
- Fall Lacrosse Program—Free Lacrosse program for boys and girls in grades 3 & 4 and 5 &6, Frisbee Avenue Field, Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m.-12 noon, ongoing through November 1; All skill levels welcome. For more information, email Michael Banks at or call 434-5699.
- Adult Cardio Tennis Program: (18 and over) - Arbor Hill Community Center, Saturdays 10-11 a.m.
- Youth Tennis Program: - Hoffman Park Community Center - Mondays 5:30 p.m.- 6:30 p.m. & Arbor Hill Community Center - Thursdays 5:30 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.
- Karate Program Update: The Department of Recreation anticipates the karate program will be up and running before the end of the year. For further updates check the Department’s Facebook page.