- Use fertilizers and pesticides sparingly and according to the directions.
- Do not fertilize if rain is forecasted within the next 48 hours.
- Seed any exposed soil to prevent it from being carried away in runoff.
- Wash your car at a commercial car wash, or on your lawn where the soil can filter the dirty and soapy water.
- Check under your vehicle for leaks or spills.
- Clean up any oil or chemical spills with an absorbent material like cat litter or sand.
- Never dispose of oil or other engine fluids down the storm drain, on the ground, or into a ditch.
Pet Waste Disposal
- Pet waste contains coliform bacteria which creates health risks for people.
- Scoop it up and flush it down the toilet.
- Never dispose of pet waste down storm drains or sewers.
- Test the water to ensure no chlorine is detected before you drain your pool.
- Drain your pool onto the lawn slowly to prevent erosion.
- Collect roof water in rain barrels and reuse it to water your lawn or garden.
- Direct gutter downspouts into a vegetated area or a rain garden where it can be filtered through the soil.
We have provided links to documents pertaining to storm water management and the City of Albany's Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program:
- 2017 to 2018 City of Albany MS4 Annual Report (PDF)
- Please contact Stormwater Program Manager, Peter Beck with questions or comments regarding the Annual Report
- Beaver Creek Interim Regulations (PDF)
- Fillable Third Party MS4 Certification (DOC)
- Guidance Documents for MS4s (PDF)
- NY State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4 General Permit) (PDF)
- NYSDEC SPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activity (PDF)